Thursday 20 September 2012

Thursday's Kitchen Cupboard

Recently friends moved into their new home and Hubby helped out with the move.They live in a beautiful town close to the Victorian Snow fields and where citrus trees grow extremely well......................

They have over 30 assorted citrus varieties and kindly sent me boxes and bags of Grapefruit, Oranges, Lemons, Limes and Mandarins .



Ok so there has been a lot of slicing...juicing....washing of jars....

So far i have made Grapefruit and Ginger marmalade
                           Lemon and Lime marmalade
                           Three fruit marmalade
                           Lemon Butter 

My favorite is the Grapefruit and Ginger.
                                               
                                                 
Since Hubby doesn't like marmalade I brought some strawberries on sale and made him batch of jam.

And since I was in the mood I also picked the last of my Beetroot and made a batch of relish with the following very easy recipe.  

750g Beetroot, peeled and grated             750ml malt vinegar
500g apples ,peeled,cored &chopped         500g sugar
1 onion, chopped                                    1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
200 g dried figs, chopped, (the recipe did say raisins but i didn't have any)

Place all ingredients in a preserving pan and leave to stand 2 hours.

Place pan over medium heat and slowly bring contents to the boil.
Simmer 1 1/2 - 2 hours until reduced,thick and syrupy.
Remove from heat, pour into warm, sterilised jars and seal.


      
 Still more fruit left on the laundry bench................maybe a batch of 3 fruit marmalade with ginger.....................   

Sharing today's recipe with Robin and Thursday's Kitchen Cupboard.                                         
                                              

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. hi VG, starting to slice lemons in my sleep!!

      Delete
  2. super busy! you could set up shop. I like the sound of your beetroot relish - I've never had one with grated beetroot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kirsty, actually our farm is included in this years Castlemaine Festival of Gardens for the first time so I thought some produce available would be good, also will have plants for sale too.(starting to panic a bit though)

      Delete
  3. I don't think I've ever had beet relish, but it sounds good. It looks like you will have your choice of marmalades for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave,i haven't made this relish before but the taste test was pretty good and hoping as it matures all the flavors will develop well.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Mrs Pickles do love my marmalade and toast for breakfast !

      Delete
  5. All of your marmalades sound wonderful and look great too! I haven't made any marmalade in several years.

    I love your jars. We don't have that type here :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin, I quite enjoy the process of making marmalade and have found they make wonderful Christmas gifts too.
      The Jars are a good size, not to big especially if there's only 1 person in the family who eats marmalade.

      Delete
  6. I like how you tackled the issue of citrus abundance in your kitchen and turned them into delicious creations all neatly stocked on those shelves. I imagine that some might even be turned into gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rowena, yes some jars have already found new homes!

      Delete
  7. What a great exchange for help:) You will be kept in marmalade for a long time, they would also be great gifts for Christmas too. I have to say I'm not a big lover of marmalade either but I do love lemon butter:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine, I love lemon butter too especially on fresh bread with a little cream...........

      Delete
  8. Wow Andrea, what a busy bee you've been lately. The marmalade look and sound delicious. I love beetroot chutney made using a similar recipe. I make a dip using cream cheese and a spoonful or two of the chutney whizzed up together, or even just stirred together, which is a hit every time I take it somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit of a cooking frenzy here at present and slowly working through all the produce.
      A neighbor gave my 2 kilos of beetroot yesterday so I'm going to try roasted beetroot and orange chutney next......
      Mmmm I like the sound of the dip will have to give it a try over the weekend's footy get-together!! Go Hawks !!

      Delete
  9. Hey Andrea, I'm sure you whole house smelled wonderful as you sliced, diced and cooked your way through this wonderful bounty.
    Love Marmalade, so satisfying to see the pantry shelves stocked with home grown and cooked produce.

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Claire, made up labels for all the jars over the weekend and now making my last batch...............the house does smell great....
    I've run out of cupboard space, last count 140 jars !!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to comment,I love reading them all!!